Saturday, January 23, 2010

2010: What will this decade bring?

Welcome to 2010! Honestly, I am glad to see the last decade behind me and looking forward is always better than looking back.

Just like most American, I resolve to lose weight, get healthy and learn to eat better this year. Not a diet, a lifestyle change. I am fortunate to have a group of friends that have the same aspirations. We are all doing the food thing in ways that works or us and our lifestyles. We are exercising in ways that is convenient to our budget and time constraints, we are weighing in on Tuesdays togther and offering support. Who couldn't use support from those who love you in times of change and challenge? I am just past the first 21 days of this and have not really gotten into a "habit" but feeling better about it being not a fad of the new year but a change I am committed to make. I need to take it a day at a time and not become discouraged at slow results. I have only lost a total of 6 pounds but still have a lifetime to make the change.

As most know, Chad moved to Phoenix to go to the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute on December 30th. We do not hear much from him. People deal with change in their own ways I suppose. I try to not to speculate why we do not hear from him much or take it personally. I am proud of him for committing to do something he is interested in and know he will do well as he works towards his goal.


Alyssa turned 18 January 17th and on the 18th she got a tattoo. It is the word "grace" on her left side. She says it is because she is here by the grace of God, to remind her to extend grace to others and that she deserves grace too. She talked to me about it, planned it as she is a planner and did say that if I said difinitively "NO" she would not have gotten it. Well, I have always tried to allow her to make decisions for herself, prepare her to be a responsible adult and handle the consequences. I think I am having a harder time with her "growing up" and preparing to leave this year than I am with the tattoo.

McKenna got to sing "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" as she lost them back in November and they still have not come in yet. I believe I am headed for braces.

This past fall, I was chosen the AIG Teacher of the Year for Pitt County SChools. I got a letter this past Tuesday stating I was a finalist in the North Carolina State AIG Teacher of the Year Program. I go to Winston Salem in February for a recognition luncheon and the final decision.

As Conan O'Brien says, "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

We will see what happens in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment